watermelon cupcakes Ingredients:
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 sticks of butter, unsalted at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (can substitute butter)
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp of powdered watermelon koolaid mix
- Red food coloring, buttercream a pinkish color
- mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375º F. Place cupcakes liners the muffin pan.
- mix bowl, combine the butter and sugar, beat using an electric mixer until fluffy. Add in the egg whites, beat again.
- Add in the sour cream and vanilla extract, mix by hand with a spatula.
- small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, gently mix with a spoon.
- Add green food coloring, mix to incorporate.
- Divide batter among cupcake liners, filling each 1/2 full.
- Bake at 375º F for 5 minutes, after reducing heat to 350º will keep the cupcakes in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean inserted into the center of a cupcake.
- cupcakes to cool before adding the buttercream.
- mix bowl beat the butter and vegetable shortening with an electric mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, mix by hand with a spatula.
- Add in more powdered sugar as you see fit, up to 2 more cups, mixing first by hand than with an electric mixer.
- Add in the watermelon kool-aid powder and a small amount of red food coloring mixing one last time with an electric mixer.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE
- The buttercream in a large piping bag fitted with a 1m Wilton piping tip. Push the buttercream down into the bag. Pipe buttercream onto the cupcakes, starting in the center of the cupcake, swirling out, and then swirling back into the center, progressively stacking the frosting as you get to the center.
- Add chocolate chips on top of buttercream.