American Fruit Cake
Fruit Cake is a very rich cake made with lots of candied fruits, dried fruits & nuts. The richness and sweetness of the cake, the candied and dried fruits is well balanced with the subtle flavor of the spices added, making it the best cake for special occasions. The American Fruit Cake is a dense cake compared to the fruitcake from other parts of the world and is loaded with candied fruits and nuts. It is made especially around holiday season with red and green candied fruits. It is usually served without frosting.
Fruitcake has its own variations in other countries. I have shared my recipe for Indian Fruit Cake which is also called Kerala Plum Cake. The Indian fruitcake has a deeper color and a stronger spice flavor. It is a little more spongy and less dense as compared to the American one.
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 4
- Baking Powder – 1 Tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 Tsp
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Ground Nutmeg – 1 tsp
Fruits and Nuts
Need 5 cups total of chopped dried fruits & nuts.
- Candied Cherries
- Candied Pineapples
- Dried fruits and nuts in a large Bowl mix.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt into this. Toss it.
- Egg in a separate bowl and beat it. Add the sugar and vanilla essence to this.
- Add this to the dry ingredients. Mix it thoroughly. Take some effort and time as cake batter is very thick.
- your cake pan by greasing with butter all over and dusting with some dry flour. If the cake pan is nonstick or silicone, then you can skip this step.
- Add cake batter to the pan and press it to make the top even.
- Bake it in a preheated 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) oven for about 2 hours. Check with an inserted toothpick after 1.5 hours and remove it as soon as it comes out clean.
- The cake cool completely After you remove it from the pan. Enjoy this fruit cake for this Christmas.